Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Solo Maiden



Awning unfurled

The weather is finally getting a taste cooler and I've settled into my new job with the Tourism Development Authority. I'm now a part time "Tourism Counselor" (read: Greeter) at a highway Welcome Center near Seagrove, NC filling my pockets with travel brochures and my head with destinations. So it was time to finally book some camp trips with children and friends, but first it was time to take the new girl solo and learn the controls. 

My destination was Deep River Campground, not 10 minutes up the road near

View from my campsite

Franklinville, NC. Though not visible from the camp sites, the campground sits within earshot of the Deep River directly across from Sapona Manufacturing in Cedar Falls. There are hiking trails, including along the river, and a fishing pond just outside my camper door. My sense was that about 80% of the trailers there were owned by fisherfolk who make this their summer home and a cozy one it is. The campground is a peaceful place, not overly expensive, mostly shaded, and just what I needed to tackle traveling alone. It was also close enough to town that I was able to invite a couple of girlfriends to dinner and an evening campfire one night and do the same with my children the next. 

Ruthie and Odie at the river

I managed to unfurl the awning several times without incident, something Ruthie and I did not undertake coming back from Washington--we'd heard malfunction horror stories and were not up for equipment failure so far from home. The rest of the operation here went smoothly as well. I have a couple of trips coming up with my daughter in September and I feel ready to go. 


As a little indulgence, I had this tire cover made just to make it all official. If the carport guys ever come so I can keep her clean, I'll give her a bath and a wax job. We are dressed and ready and have places to go...


So you'll know us on the road!










No comments:

Post a Comment