Saturday, May 19, 2018

The last trip of 2017

Devil's Fork State Park is in the northwest corner of South Carolina at the edge of a massive national forest and along the shores of beautiful Lake Jocassee. Mary had talked so much about how lovely it was, we agreed to meet there the last weekend in October. Traffic was heavy. Somehow we missed in trip planning that Devil's Fork is a favorite campground for Clemson fans and we'd  picked a homegame weekend. But we had reservations so we each had a place. My spot was a trick to back in to but friendly neighbors coached me up the hill.
Lake Jocossee is fed by multiple small waterfalls. 

The pad for the camper itself was flat but this is the only time I've taken the precaution to chock the front of the truck wheels which angled sharply downhill. That said, I was happily backed up next to the bathhouse, trailer level and secure by nightfall--only to discover (the refrigerator repair saga continues) that the repair shop, after  a fourth trip to Kernersville for more frig repair, had filled my propane tanks but not reconnected them. I reached my son the welder and sent a pix by flashlight and he coached me into reconnecting them. I'm not particularly strong and it was a two handed job with the flashlight in my teeth, but I eventually achieved hot soup for supper. This, despite the front door panel falling off the frig again. Sigh.

The weather was cold and wet. Lake Jocossee is fed by a number of small waterfalls. Visitors can take pontoon boat tours or rent kayaks to see them. I do very much want to come back and explore the lake, but snuggling up to a good book and mug of hot tea was the order of the day on Saturday. I'm not a big fiction fan but loved getting lost in Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer. Midday, Mary and her pup Jack rousted me out to search for lunch. Despite the rain and cold we had a lovely drive through the mountains and several small towns before finding a cozy local cafe with very good food.

Sunday it faired off some, but Saturday's rain was the leading edge of a cold front. When the rain finally quit, we took a 1.5 mile nature loop before I decided  to head home, hoping to make it back before dark. I'd planned to stay an extra day but the cold weather and rain made the thought of heading home inviting. And I'd convinced the repair folks in Kernersville that it was their turn to come to my place to finally fix the falling door panel after four trips to them to get the frig they installed working right.



Did I mention that the woods were beautiful? That the mushrooms were spectacular? The subtle colors of the fall leaves? That the woods were full of waterfalls? And that Mary and Jack are affable company?



I will be back, boat in tow. On a warm summer weekend. No football, no rain and lots of time to explore.


Oh, and the repair guy came from Kernersville to fix the falling frig door panel. After I insisted, to his surprise, that he use something more than just double stick tape, it seems to be staying in place. I hope this is the last you will ever hear about it... So do they.

No comments:

Post a Comment