Saturday, October 14, 2017

What did she do?! And why are you being so mean?!!!

I am back in Asheville at Wilson's, camping along the French Broad River, according to our paddled host, the third oldest river on Earth. The Asheville Outdoor Center (AOC) offers a wonderful 7 mile trip from upriver just beyond the Blue Ridge Parkway back to their headquarters adjacent to Wilson's. Weather has thwarted my paddling ambitions the past two trips here and I booked this weekend specifically to paddle before they close for the season November 1. Caroline could not camp with me but she drove over for an afternoon trip and brought picture perfect weather with her.

Much of the trip passes through the Biltmore Estate. This is the view of Biltmore House from the river (Photos today courtesy of Caroline, I was too sorry to carry a camera. Did I say "bushed"?!) There is a road running through the estate along the river and we saw many bicyclists, horses with riders and pedestrians on the road.

We paddled past the elegant new hotel beside the Biltmore winery. There was also a pasture full of horse trailers gathered for a sizeable equestrian event. So the estate was busy and full of tourists, but the river itself was remarkably quiet. We put in with a group of 14 and without much effort, left the group sustantially behind. Except for an occasional sound from shore we felt like we had the river entirely to ourselves.

I am sad to report we saw very little wildlife. And the drought has left the trees turning brown rather than colorful. The amazing thing we did see was this cherry picker parked on the I 40 bridge lowering inspectors under the overpass. I had never seen this equipment used this way and prayed the operator had the truck securely braced.

Caroline has a birthday before I will see her again so we ended the day at this GREAT Mexican place to celebrate. I will definitely be back to visit Papa's again.

And the title to this post? The first time I mentioned on Facebook that my kids and I had just paddled the French Broad, the incorrigible Tom Edwards made that reply. He can tease all he wants to, I plan to do it again...

1 comment:

  1. Another good paddle with you! And how about this: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/kayaking-black-river-nc-109445.html

    ReplyDelete