Saturday, May 29, 2021

The sky is green, and the grass is blue



 

Cathy at the Philpot Lake overlook
Dolly Parton penned these words in a love song about her world gone topsy turvy without the one she loved. The weekend before Memorial Day went topsy turvy for a friend and me as we camped at Virginia's lovely Fairy Stone Park. I've written about the park several times as I've taken Ruthie, the paddle club and my friend, Caroline, there to paddle the beautiful lakes and hunt for the legendary fairy stones. When Cathy asked me to take her someplace this spring and I learned she hadn't been, it seemed like the perfect place to take her. 

Cathy on Goblintown Creek
We did all the fun camp things--hiked the lovely woods, ate the fun camp foods we otherwise pass up, and we paddled Fairy Stone Lake up the Goblintown Creek enjoying wonderfully mild weather and anticipating the pending outburst of 17 year cicadas that had not quite arrived.


Tommy Edwards, 1945-2021

And then we got the news Saturday morning that after a short, hard battle with pancreatic cancer, bluegrass legend and husband to a dear friend, Tommy Edwards, had died.

Born the year that Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys formed their band and created a new genre of country music, Tommy Edwards spent the last 50 years of his life as lead vocalist and guitar player for the North Carolina band, Bluegrass Experience. He did many other good things as well and you can read about his exemplary life (I don't say that lightly, Tommy was awarded the Order of the Long Leaf Pine the day before he died and was able to enjoy the honor of it) at a wonderful tribute published by the Chatham County Arts Council:  https://www.chathamartscouncil.org/a-tribute-to-tommy-edwards/

But Cindy, his wife, and Tommy have been personal friends as well. I met Cindy in their antique shop in Pittsboro when I first moved to town. I may have known Tommy played music but my first memories are of Tommy's jokes and Cindy's warm welcomes when we visited their store. I later opened a yarn store just up the street. The local newspaper did a series on the two of us and a local realtor as examples of women entrepreneurs in the community. As business neighbors, Cindy and I became friends, and as we discovered mutual interests and common background, the friendship grew and continued long after my store closed. 

When my husband was suddenly killed, Cindy and Tommy were there for support and to provide encouragement to my children. They took us to dinner, invited us to their home and to their beach house. They let the kids know they were cared for and watched over. There was a small cadre of men,  husbands of my girlfriends, friends of their father, and one gentleman who just heard about Greg's death and gave his help, who offered themselves as what I called "20 Minute Dads". It doesn't take much to keep a kid's spirits up and just knowing these fellas could be called upon for a bit of assistance or conversation has made a huge difference in my children's lives. My children have a cadre of good, strong and generous women around them as well, with Cindy in the lead, but in the beginning, having just lost their dad, it was the generosity of these men that provided a timely light. Sadly, Tommy is the third one of these good men my children have lost. My son told me some years back that the best thing I did for them as a parent was to share my friends with them. I could not be more grateful than to have these good friends to share.

While everyone knew Tommy from his music and the stage, what many folks don't know is the role of anchor that Cindy has played through their 43 year marriage. She was the place of peace he came home to after playing Mr. Bluegrass for his fans. She has been his bookkeeper, his social media manager, and the deepest love of his life. His exuberance on the stage has been made possible by the sanctuary of his home and the hard work of his teammate there. I don't think I understood the depth of their reliance on each other until I called their home right after Cindy had experienced a health crisis. It's the only time I ever knew Tommy unable to make a joke. Tommy always let her know how much he appreciated her and their relationship. Cindy told me recently that even during the last days when he faced so much pain, he made a point of saying the sweet things that had always wooed her. There must be a special place in heaven for these good men and I trust he and Greg are there now trading fun and singing. 

There have been many wonderful tributes paid to Tommy, and I expect there will be more. I know Cindy appreciates the recognition and memories. I hope, along with all the good memories shared, she's wrapped up in love and support as well. For now, the sky is green. That will pass. But I suspect the grass will always be blue.





1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed it. Felt lucky to have a few days away together......

    ReplyDelete