Friday, September 6, 2019

Postscript

Texas Panhandle
Just a last word on the Lewis and Clark trip. In 23 days, we have covered 7400 miles this trip, much more than I ever imagined.

We really have cannonballed home since picking up I40 south of Santa Fe, driving 600 miles each day on Thursday and Friday. And remained friends, probably the biggest
Cadillac Ranch
accomplishment.

We did make one stop at Cadillac Ranch outside Amarillo, TX. It is a public art installation set up in the 1970s by a couple of architecture students commenting on the evolution of Cadillac tailfins. Actually, my dad had one model they used, and my grandfather drove us to Seattle for the 1960 World's Fair in another. The public is invited to add
Public Art
paint to the project so it continually evolves. Despite the fact that there is NO signage and it's in the middle of a plowed field, there were lots of people there, some painting, some admiring as we did. Apparently enough come to paint, there are two dumpsters by the road for empty paint cans.

I have had a ball this trip and I have one big trip in mind for next year, but my  happiest times with the trailer have been in the nearby state parks with friends and young'uns. That might just be my focus from here on out. The equipment has performed admirably and we've been comfortable the whole trip (except for the brief evacuation during the storm in Iowa), but there's no place like home among loved ones and that seems to be where we are
both happiest.

I've got a few more short excursions still this fall while the weather nice. So Happy Trails. May we meet again soon.


1 comment:

  1. Is that your art work in the last photo? What an entertaining read/look this has been! Glad it's been a good one.

    ReplyDelete