Wednesday, June 26, 2019

An adventure already--To Nova Scotia Day 1

Hair brained...
We actually rolled out of bed and the driveway on time this morning. We were on the road before 9a. I had estimated a nine hour trip and hit it on the nose. I have new tires on both vehicles, fresh oil, a safety inspection and I've had three practice campouts to test it all. So much for the best laid plans. We got to our first rest stop and the trailer door had come open. The 17 year old door latch has failed. I called Scamp to see if they could overnight a replacement to Brattleboro VT, our next stop. Well, for $104 FedEx would not guarantee next day delivery so I'm paying for snail post and having it sent to Ben. I had bought some thick cloth covered elastic hair bands to use as curtain tie backs. With a little ingenuity, they now hold the door closed. I'll be buying duct tape at the next opportunity. Were Greg Talbott with us, there'd have been a stash of tie wraps and bailing string to add some Clampett ambiance. At this point, we just look odd. But it works.
Mt Jackson VA

It's been blistering hot. And we've pushed pretty hard to make the 440 miles we made today and do it cruising at 60mph max. I am glad to report that the rest of the equipment has performed admirably. The tires apparently have been very well balanced and well aligned. I don't remembering the truck running this smoothly since I've owned it. And bless the Pennsylvania DOT, the road damage that nearly beat us to death last year has been repaired.

We are following the Appalachian Ridge, as we did last time, all the way up to the coast of Maine. This is all familiar territory so not much new to report. It does appear that the Gaffney Peach (or the 'Roid as Greg used to call it) has some competition in this apple basked near Mount Jackson, VA. Otherwise, the trip was gorgeous and blissfully uneventful, except for the door.

We are staying at a KOA near Hershey PA. It is remarkably comfortable--on a lively creek shaded by mature trees. I picked it for convenience and an abundance of drive through campsites since we are just passing through, but we've both been pleased with the amenities. Franklin has had a great romp in the dog park and the General Store delivers Broasted Chicken dinners with a phone call. Did I say, "tired"? We are trying to follow Jessie's recommended diet and broasted chicken is not exactly on it, but when they said they'd deliver, we opened a salad bag and placed an order.

The campground is full of campers, some appear to be permanent or long term and have planted gardens and added decorations. I was charmed by this camper ornament hanging from a tree. The creek looks like a good paddle and is crossed by this trestle bridge at the edge of the property. I am not sure how well you can see the structure. I've never seen a bridge like this. Instead of two truss structures opposite each other and connected top and bottom, this bridge is composed of three trusses offset from each other. Big trucks roll across is so it must be safe but  it's definitely unique.

When I took my Canada trip last year, I spent the first three days driving alone with the goal of picking Ben up at the airport in Portland ME. I spent my first night in Edinburgh VA. Edinburgh is almost three hours back up the road from where we are tonight.  I was tired and hurting that night--my hips and back still recovering from two years of slinging book bags at work--and feeling a little lonely and vulnerable, not sure just how intrepid I really was. The campground was decorated with antique train toys and I photographed them for Ben. I was delighted to find this big train toy in our campground tonight. I photographed it for Ben again.

There will be two more hard days like this before we will take a rest in Canada. Jessie's company and relief driving have made all the difference. Let's just hope the bungees hold...

No comments:

Post a Comment