Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Adventure Begins for Real


LibraryAnn on her way home.

So the adventure began in my mind sitting in my community college library during a quiet spell, pouring over a book on the history of the Airstream. The man who invented it couldn't get his wife out of the kitchen so he built one they could take camping. This thought was too delicious (literally) for a woman with multiple food issues who likes to get away but hates navigating restaurant  food on the road. And who hasn't dreamed of taking, carefree, to the open road?! And for me, the dream of taking my kitchen with me was the best dream of them all!

So the search was on. I started by lurking the Airstream forums. I learned a lot about camping, maintenance and repair, and about tow vehicles. And that by the time an Airstream was old enough for me to afford, I couldn't afford the repairs. I bought a buyers guide to "stickies", or conventional stick built trailers, and learned how to search for leaks--and found many. Somewhere on a forum was mentioned ultra-lightweight molded fiberglass trailers that did not leak and I started lurking that forum. And searching for a long bed crew cab Frontier with a tow package. Found the truck in Charlotte last June, and LibraryAnn found me on the forum near Thanksgiving. Brought her home from Fayetteville in pouring rain December 2.

Her previous owner was a librarian who never got to travel with her.  She travels with us in spirit now as we make our first "get acquainted" trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment